The objectives of the small grants scheme are to:
- increase sustainability in the development objectives of Sri Lanka
- combine capabilities of skilled professionals to achieve common development objectives
- establish a platform for sector specialists/organisations to develop linkages/consortia that can continue to work without the support of a grant
- provide scholars and alumni with professional development activities to make them better leaders for development
- support scholars and alumni to establish and maintain networks with Australians and Australian organisations
The small grant scheme is designed to assist proactive alumni in implementing activities contributing to sustainable development in Sri Lanka. Alumni can propose a development-related activity that supports Sri Lanka to address the defined priority areas of climate change, gender equality, disability support and engagement with the indigenous community.